Thursday 11 April 2013

Altering a POD book - getting started



Well I suppose that's how you would describe what I have been doing.........the thing is though that I feel awful doing it to the author of the book (LaMont Copeland).  It's a collection of his poems.  


The thing is though that the book was chosen at random.  I went for a black and white pocket book because I was thinking that I might use that format either in this project or at a later point.  


Money or rather cost was a major factor too...... as I was essentially throwing £10.00 down the drain.

I mean it's something I can ill afford at the present time.   Having said that I  wanted to see just how 'flimsy' the paper might be - I was anticipating it might be like 'bible paper'.  
But it's more like about 100 gsm copy paper, that one might use to print out something from a desktop printer.  

The images do kind of show through the paper.   I seem to remember our school text books were a bit like this.   I am just realising that I ought to take a photo of a page which has a photo on its reverse side for you to understand what I mean.  OK..........done that .............as you can see above.



I imagine though that if one had line drawings on either side that it might be OK.  I will have to give it a go.  I might do 2 test books i.e., one with line drawings on both sides of the page.  And another with a line drawing on just one side.  



Photos of what I have done so far.   I am also trying out some unusual mark making techniques.




as in the second picture above......with the text in the back book printed in reverse i.e., back to front writing. 








Of course its different 'altering' an already existing POD book by some one else.  The thing is though that if I had for example designed a book along the lines of the one above.  I might just have the text as small as possible.  Perhaps even uploading it as a jpg onto an 'open bleed' page so there weren't any margins or borders.  I would do this with the idea that later when 'altering' it I would highlight certain words.........................and I might have white space gaps so that when altering it I could then stamp in images.   I might design it in such a way that I could chop it up into two books  and make a 'dos a dos'.

No comments:

Post a Comment